Mary Jane Miller Icon painter of the Byzantine style Iconography, uses her brush to paint what we cannot see.
Our theological and spiritual insights handed down from many generations. What often inspires her about icon painting workshops is the million-year-old dirt; ancient stone pigments traditionally used by Byzantine iconographers. The earth was divinely created, and it governs a wide array of texture and color in icon painting.
All of life comes from the unseen energy of God, only to be seen in color and formed in creation.
The infinite range of imagination found in sacred iconography has merged with Mary Jane's interpretation of the present. As a female icon painter, Miller attempts to teach others to listen to their own personal mysticism. She believes Byzantine style iconography has the potential to reflect humankind's continual joy and beauty found in the search for spiritual fulfillment.
The best icons are able to communicate to any modern day viewer a moment of stillness that can bring about comfort, revelation, connection or healing.
Miller says she has no idea if her work has any lofty or pious importance. However, she does know that each time she immerses the brush to stir the paint, a spiral of color is formed. It is enough for her to witness this magnificent tiny world of paint, constantly sharing its own life force and message. Mary Jane is being made whole by the paint which teaches throughout icon painting workshops. Thank you for listening.
10 reasons to think about icon painting workshops.
1. More beauty in the world benefits everyone. Think of how wonderful it feels to accomplish something new and create something which never before existed, in this case an icon painting.
2. Your Stillness touches history and tradition, your own and that of your ancestors. Though breathing we become connected to creation as it unfolds.
3. Don't we all yearn for an experience of quiet surrender, to find something greater than our self, even if just for an instant?
4. We work in a group, I will be there to serve, in silence, in creativity and in the process.
5.You will have a chance to break up any stagnant consciousness about how you have thought about God and the little parts you no longer need or believe in. We watch for new awareness of God while re-calibrating your interior. God is your friend and navigator.
6. Taking time for you! This is perhaps the most healing and intimate thing we can do for ourselves.
7. Experience Magic Dirt! Million year old ground stones are ancient colors moving on a virgin surface reminding us we are eternal.
8. You will be a better person for having tried a new approach to prayer and contemplation.
9. You walk away with an image, a testament to an extra ordinary experience.
An opportunity to Explore your truth, and write from the heart with forgiveness. The process is Organic.